Vocational Rehabilitation Consultant
If you are committed to public service, enjoy collaborating with others, share our values and have a desire to learn and grow, join The City of Calgary. City employees deliver the services, run the programs and operate the facilities which make a difference in our community. We support work-life balance, promote physical and psychological safety, and offer competitive wages, pensions, and benefits. Together we make Calgary a great place to make a living, a great place to make a life.
The City is committed to fostering a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace which is representative of the community we serve. We welcome those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and reconciliation. Applications are encouraged from members of groups that are historically disadvantaged and underrepresented. Accommodations are available during the hiring process, upon request.
As a Vocational Rehabilitation Consultant (VRC) you will be responsible for vocational-related assessments for employees with disabilities to determine accommodation requirements. This includes performing analysis, testing, evaluation, and assessment of the employee medical, vocational, educational, and rehabilitative needs. Primary duties will include:
• Assess the employee’s accommodation needs by reviewing information related to the employee’s medical, educational, and vocational background.
• Provide consultation and/or referral services regarding the needs of the employee such as functional and medical interventions.
• Develop rehabilitation and accommodation strategies.
• Coordinate rehabilitation efforts with the employee and their treatment team (for example: doctors, specialists, psychiatrists, psychologists, kinesiologists and/or occupational therapists).
• Negotiate, implement, and evaluate suitable accommodation strategies and permanent placement options with hiring supervisor, unions, Labour Relations, and Human Resources Business Partners as required.
• Prepare detailed reports, recommendations and progress updates.
• Recommend improvements and enhancements to the priority placement process based on changes to legislation, industry standards, and best practices.
• Track all key metrics related to rehabilitation and priority placement activities.
• A completed 2-year diploma in a field related to Occupational Health such as Disability Management, Human Services, Vocational Rehabilitation (or health discipline such as Employment Counselling, Career Development, Social Services) and at least 7 years of experience in disability management, vocational rehabilitation, occupational health, or related field; OR
• A degree in any of the disciplines listed above and at least 5 years of experience as outlined above.
• A designation through the College of Vocational Rehabilitation Professionals (CVRP), Registered Rehabilitation Professional (RRP), Certified Vocational Professional (CVP), Master’s Certificate, Vocational Professional (MCVP), or Canadian Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CCRC).
• Success in this position requires expert analysis, consultation, and collaboration skills to develop strategies and provide guidance to internal/external clients and providers.
• Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
307394 Vocational Rehabilitation Consultant